Monday, January 6, 2020

Change My Mind. Really?



Being retired and having WAY too much time on my hands, I tend to spend a fair amount of time on the Internet. One of the things I have noticed is photos of individuals standing or sitting with a sign which makes a potentially controversial or inflammatory statement followed by "Change My Mind". While these people are apparently looking for an arguement, I am afraid they do not get the desired reaction from me. 
While I can be very opinionated and judgemental, I don't feel any obligation to inflect myself upon you to try to convince you that I am right and that you should hold the same opinion. If people want to agree with me, that's fine. If they don't, I am not going to be offended.
Because I don't feel like adding to all of the conflict that is already everywhere around me, I don't go bonkers when I see someone with their "Change My Mind" sign. My usual reaction (which I tend to keep to myself), is: "Who cares what you think?" 
The signs are intended to spark conflict and elicit a reaction. It's my belief that these individuals are deeply entrenched in their positions, and no one is going to convince them otherwise. If you happen to feel an obligation to engage these individuals to save them from themselves, feel free. As for me, I will most likely keep my inside thoughts inside.  



No comments:

Post a Comment